Re: regular expressions

From: Rick McGowan (Rick_McGowan@next.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 1997 - 16:39:24 EST

La Bonte' says...

> What about the Icelandic "thorn", which in CAN/CSA standard Z243.4.1
> (Ordering) comes with "th" while in the European prenorm on ordering and in
> ISO/IEC CD 14651 it comes after "z"?

This is precisely the problem. Somehow a balance has to be achieved to make
it possible to get this RIGHT, both ways. I have to be able to specify each
of:

    A. the stuff that is a letter of *my* alphabet, in proper order
    B. the stuff that is in some RANGE of my alphabet
    C. the stuff that is "universally alphabetic" (at Beckers' arm's length)

Each of these has its place in regex searches; sometimes I want the one and
not t'other. I have to know, in the syntax of the regular expression what the
request to "give me all the stuff from a to thorn" means; and it has to mean
the same thing at the time the regular expression is defined, compiled (if
so), and actually executed.

I presume that Mr. Leisher has this problem licked, too. :-) ??

        Rick