Re: Unicameral

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ (
Date: Sat Feb 01 1997 - 11:04:29 EST

At 23:25 97-01-31 -0800, unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:
>Why do people use the word unicameral (which means of one room) for

I had made the same remark to myself as an old Latinist, but I'm not a
native English-speaker and sometimes words shift meanings very much. In
French monocam<e'>ral refers to a political system in which there is only
one parliamentary assembly, or house, bicam<e'>ral two houses... (we say in
French "une chambre", "deux chambres").

Alain LaBonti

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:33 EDT