Re: data for collation tests

From: Mark Davis (mark_davis@taligent.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 1997 - 20:39:01 EST

unicode@Unicode.ORG wrote:

> unicode@Unicode.ORG writes:
>
> > At 16:47 1997-1-24 -0800, Xiu Lu wrote:
> > >Do you know where and how to get test data files for collation tests (in
> > >Japanese, German and French). I have a program that can read a test data
> > >file and does collation, then output a sorted result to a file. But I do
> > >not have proper data to test this program .
>
> A Danish test case can be found at ftp://dkuug.dk/i18n/sort.ds377
> (ISO/IEC 8859-1 encoded)
>
> Keld

Looking at your list, I was surprised about a couple of things:

1. Apparently, as opposed to English, Danish sorts space and hyphen as
separate characters, not as ignorable secondaries (e.g. ignored on first
pass). For example, in English one sorts as in the following:

black
black-and-blue
black and white
blackbird
black bird
black-bird
blackbirds
black birds
black-birds
blackbox
black-eyed pea
blackfish
black lung

and NOT as:

black and white
black bird
black birds
black lung
black-and-blue
black-bird
black-birds
black-eyed pea
black
blackbird
blackbirds
blackbox
blackfish

Whereas in your Danish example, you have the latter approach:

NIELS-JXRGEN
NIELS JXRGEN
NIELSEN

On the other hand, "." is an ignoreable secondary in both English and
Danish, as in your example.

DSB
D.S.B.
DSC

2. In English dictionaries as a rule, uppercase comes before lowercase,
as in:

polish
Polish

Apparently, this is reversed in Danish dictionaries, for you have:

Karl
karl

Mark Davis

ftp://dkuug.dk/i18n/sort.ds377