Re: ?: Unicode Web pages

From: Chris Lilley (
Date: Fri Feb 07 1997 - 17:19:17 EST

On Feb 7, 1:09pm, Chris Pratley wrote:

> One other thing that Word does not do is determine of some text is
> Traditional or Simplified Chinese, or Japanese. These are unified ranges,
> so without a font tag, it cannot pick a font that is appropriate for that
> text.

A font tag is inappropriate for this. If I set font "foo" on some text, and you
don't have a font called foo, well that doesn't help much.

A lang tag, or attribute, is what is required to disambiguate the
presentation of unified characters.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93