Re: nbsp

From: Alain LaBont/e'/ (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 08 1997 - 19:46:50 EST

At 15:58 97-02-08 -0800, Michael Everson wrote:
>At 16:24 -0500 1997-02-08, Alain LaBont/e'/ wrote:
>
>>>Option-Spacebar? Alt-Spacebar? How hard is that?
>>
>>Try this with an American keyboard on a PC (even under Windows 95 or NT) (:
>
>I find it hard to believe that PC users cannot access NBSP easily.

You have to have a CAN/CSA Z243.230-compliant (or ISO/IEC 9995-3-compliant)
keyboard to do this in a standard way. I have this, but typical American or
European PC users don't have this. Furthermore if you try this under many
pieces of software including Microsoft Word, it does not work! I signaled
that problem to Microsoft, they should not filter characters coming from the
keyboard but they do (even the left French quotes + are filtered, they want
me to use smart quotes [English quotes transformed by their software, what
about other software like Eudora?] in the French version, but when I write
in English I have problems then!)

Alain LaBonti
Quibec