Re: Word97: Preliminary Experimental Results

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 05:48:56 EST

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 Glen Perkins wrote:

> Oddly, after changing to a double-byte font, if I change the font to
> plain ol' Arial (sometime before my quarter runs out and the game locks
> up ;-) ), the CJK chars remain CJK. They don't go back to being
> missing-char boxes. They do seem to change shape a bit, though, but the
> font drop-down menu above claims they are Arial, which is obviously
> wrong, so I don't know what font they really are.

It might not be that wrong. Arial (or any other font) can either be
seen as a font resource containing only so many glyphs, and producing
missing-glyph (not missing-char!) boxes for the rest, or as a choice
by the user with (more or less reasonable) backups, so that whatever
character can somehow be displayed on the system actually is displayed.
This is a great help to the low-end user who doesn't want to change
fonts unnecessarily in mixed text. The problem is less that Word
is doing this, but that it's not doing it from the start.

For more background on this, please check out my 1995 Unicode conference
paper (coauthored with Marc-Antoine Parent) available as
        ftp://ftp.ifi.unizh.ch/pub/multilingual/FontComposition.ps.Z

Regards, Martin.