Re: Web browsers and the new language code for Hebrew

From: Chris Lilley (
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 12:40:05 EST

On Feb 10, 6:24pm, Koen Holtman wrote:

> Misha Wolf:
> >What I want to raise is a very particular problem: Two of the browsers that
> >handle Hebrew (maybe this should read "The two browsers that handle
> >Hebrew"), recognise the old language code ("iw") but not the new one ("he").
> Why do these browsers need a language code at all? Can't they just rely on
> the charset value?

Only if there is (and has ever been) only one language which uses the
Hebrew script. I suspect this is not the case.

Chris Lilley, W3C                          [ ]
Graphics and Fonts Guy            The World Wide Web Consortium              INRIA,  Projet W3C                       2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93