Re: Web browsers and the new language code for Hebrew

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Mon Feb 10 1997 - 16:18:35 EST

At 14:01 -0800 1997-02-10, François Yergeau wrote:

>Blame all the outdated copies of ISO 639 out there on the Web! I only
>became aware of the changed codes recently, too late for Tango 3.0.

An accurate version is available in French, English, and Irish at , iso639-en.html,
and iso639-ga.html.

>>This is very worrying. I hope the vendors will speedily enhance their
>>products to recognise both the old and new codes.

Unless the old codes are now no longer registered. This _is_ a problem. In
principle the old codes are now usable for future standardization.

You should talk to Infoterm, the registration authority. Their address is
on my 639 pages.

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)
Gutháin:  +353 1 478-2597, +353 1 283-9396