Re: Line Separator character (resent)

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 16:39:23 EDT

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Dan Oscarson wrote:

> Why should we use a new Unicode special character for line separator
> when there is a line separator control character: NL (Next Line) defined
> in the 0200-0237 range. It would be better to to use that instead of CR/LF and
> U+2028. It can also be used in 8-bit byte text.

First: Please don't use octal numbers in an environment where everybody
is firmly used to hexadecimal. I had quite some problems figuring out
what you ment with the 0200-0237 range :-).

Second: Neither ISO 10646 nor Unicode define the CR control characters.
While for CL, virtually everybody uses the same assignement, and the
codepoints are even named in UNicode (but not in ISO 10646), there
are no stable conventions for CR. Many systems and encodings (Mac,
Windows, UTF-8) use the CR area for graphic characters.

Regards, Martin.