Re: Unicode plain-text file

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 16:23:14 EDT

>> ** FF is higher-level formatting, you'd have to interpret it separately.
>> @@ In particular, you would definitely interpret it as a block separator.

No, no, please, no! Whitespace, please, or some new category. FF can come
in the middle of a paragraph, or a sentence, or even a word.

>That's one area where I'd love more guidance from Unicode. FF is, I think,
>a reasonable requirement for plain-text files, so I would have liked
>Unicode to tell me more about it, or provide a PAS -- page separator.

>P.S.3. Someone in this thread stated that LF was a paragraph separator
>in Unix. I see it as a line separator.

Another good example of the confusion we need to prevent.

Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President      as simple as possible,
NewbieNet, Inc.  1000 members and counting      __but no simpler__.    17 May 97   Attributed to Albert Einstein

-- Edward Cherlin A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is Ask. Someone knows. nothing left to take away.--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Anti-Spam)