re: Rare Writ. Dir. +

From: Richard S. Cook (
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 13:13:55 EDT

Otto Stolz <> wrote:
with horizontally written scripts: about twenty years ago I saw
a book in Japanese, written top-to-bottom, with German proper, and
place names imbedded. These were also written top-to-bottom, with
the glyphs rotated by 90 degrees; so you could turn the book counter-
clockwise to read these names, in the usual way. This imebedding
method would also work with left-to-right phrases in Mongolian text.
For right-to-left scripts, you would have to turn the glyphs the other

I think, it would be useful to have this method described in a
forthcoming Unicode standard.
Yes, this is still seen in some works treating classical Chinese subjects.
I myself (granted, on rare occasions) employ a roman font for this
purpose, in which I have rotated all of the characters 90 degrees
On a tangetially related issue ... If I may take this opportunity, I would
like to suggest that readers of this list might find my recent publication
to be of interest, from a multilingual computing aspect. Although that
text was typeset using a variety of computer fonts, many of my own design,
it does illustrate my working solutions to some multilingual computing
problems. Within this work, readers will also find a table of the 540
classifier-glyphs of the mother of all Chinese dictionaries, in a
small-seal computer font of my design. This latter font was completed in
part as an initial test of the requirements for a complete Chinese
small-seal font of the characters of the dictionary _Shuowen Jiezi Zhu_,
by the Western Han Xu Shen, annotated by the Qing scholar Duan Yucai.

This publication, monograph volume 18.2 of the biannual journal
Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area, UC Berkeley, Spring 1997, is
"typographically the most complex document ever published by LTBA".

Info may be found at my web page, URL below.

Richard S. Cook
Somerville, Massachusetts USA