Re: Comments on <draft-ietf-acap-mlsf-00.txt>?

From: Rick McGowan (Rick_McGowan@next.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 15:33:33 EDT

This reply went to another list; I copy it here, since rpresuhn@bmc.com
asked...

        Rick

-- -- -- -- -- --

I looked at...

>> draft-ietf-acap-mlsf-00.txt

The mechanism appears to me bizarre, inadequate, and pointless.

The paper also answers none of my questions, like:
        What is the purpose of this?
        What is the intended audience?
        Why mess with a perfectly standard format like UTF-8?
        Why cannot other mechanisms be used?

And it says nothing of the adequacy of the language tags; and the draft
(rfc1766) of the language tags paper itself doesn't actually define any tags.

I sincerely hope that something like this is not adopted.

        Rick