Unified CJK characters in Unicode

From: Neil Walker (nwalker@dynix.com.au)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 13:34:31 EDT

Can someone with with an understanding about chinese sorting please
provide information about the significance of Unified Han codepoints with
respect to sorting rules in Asian coutries. My understanding is that many
unified code points actually have various sounds depending on their use
within Asian text and also on the language the glyph is used for.

My current understanding suggests that the implications for sorting text in
the various Unicode code pages are significant and could be a are a good
reason for language tagging. I beleive taht there may be implications for
text parsing tools which may wish to identify key words and phrases from
non spacing languages which make use of unified code points.

Neil Walker Dynix Australia Pty. Ltd.
Senior Software Engineer 175 Fullarton Road
Ext 4076 Dulwich S.A. 5065
NWalker@dynix.com.au +61 8 366 4000