RE: Romanian characters Erare umanum est, perseverare diabolicum

From: Tom Stern (tom@als.ca.geac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 17:21:00 EDT

More information can be added.

The Turkish S cedilla was officialy introduced in the 1928 by the
adoption of the Roman alphabet. It contained 2 characters with cedilla as
diacritic below: S and C.
The Romanian S and T with comma_below were introduced in the decade of
1850s. It contained 2 characters with comma as diacritic below: S and T.
There were several more changes to the Cyrillic script. There were more
changes to the Romanian ortography afterwards.
The S with comma_below and the T with comma_below were NEVER changed.

It can be seen in Romanian books from last century published in then
Austria or Romania which diacritic below was used. They use the comma
below.

The cedilla appeared in Romanian texts mostly published outside of
Romania at the very end of the 20th century.
Therefore that is what many of you see.

In the past decade, outside Romania the above mentioned characters often
use cedilla for S and comma for T. This is an ERROR.

It is not in my intention to be critical about the ISO/IEC 8859-2 use of
the S cedilla instead of S comma_below, I just think that the correct
glyph is as the Romanian representaive suggested below with the
COMMA_BELOW.

 "Erare umanum est, perseverare diabolicum"

Tom Stern
<tom@geac.com>
Geac Canada Limited
Library Software Development