Byte-order markers question

From: clarkcb@corp.sykes.com
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 19:26:06 EDT

I have a question about byte-order markers which I think I know the answer
to, but I wanted to run it by the discussion group. The question is,
suppose I have a file composed not of one large stream of text, but multiple
separate strings, ie. strings contained within separate text boxes, such as
a desktop publishing file, would then the byte-order indicator, which is
also a indication that the text is Unicode as I understand it, be necessary
at the front of each string? I would guess one of two options:

1. yes, it is required in front of each *separate* string
2. yes or no, depending on the application

Comments? I hope the question is clear enough.

Cary