Re: RFC 1766 language tags

From: John Clews (10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 15 1997 - 11:09:55 EDT

In message <9706151044.AA02290@unicode.org> everson@indigo.ie writes:

> There are several books published in Klingon.

John Clews writes:

If user needs revolve around bibliographic requirements [books] it is
worth bringing ISO/TC46/Joint Working Group on language codes into
this discussion: currently nobody from that working group has been
involved.

The ISO/TC46/Joint Working Group on language codes is relevant
because:
(a) they deal with bibliographic standards in general, and Michael
    points out the need for books above;
(b) nobody in ISO/TC46/Joint Working Group on language codes seems to
    have considered this "sub-language" approach necessary, despite
    decades of actually using this in bibliographic records used
    worldwide;
(c) ISO/TC46/Joint Working Group on language codes is responsible
    (as a joint enterprise involving ISO/TC37) for developing ISO 639
    in the first place, which RFC 1766 is using as its basis.

Are we in danger of spending too much time on unrequired detail?
A code for Klingon can always be requested in any case from the
ISO/TC46/Joint Working Group on language codes in any case, or from
the ISO 639 maintenance Agency.

Best wishes

John Clews

--
John Clews (Character Set Development)     tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432
SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road