Re: CJK tags - Fish or cut bait

From: Pete Resnick (presnick@qualcomm.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 16:19:16 EDT

On 6/21/97 at 6:37 PM -0500, Keld Simonsen wrote:

>There are already script codes in 10646, to identify eg
>the Hangul script, the CJK script, and the Cyrillic script.

OK, first some clarifications:

1. The Macintosh use of the word "script" is in reference to one of their
"script systems". That is, it "is a collection of resources that provides
for the representation of a particular writing system." This includes both
the character representations and other information such as input methods,
etc. This jibes somewhat with the definition of "script" given in 4.34.

2. What you point to in 17.3 and Annex A I'm pretty sure are *not* script
codes in the sense defined in 4.34. Section 17.3 defines markers to
identify subsets of characters, but it's not at all clear to me that they
can be identified as scripts per se. Let's stick to calling those "subsets".

>This may not be what you want, I believe you want to differentiate
>between eg Japanese and Chinese version of the same collection of
>CJK characters.

Right. I don't think it would be appropriate to try to get new codes in
this section since clearly what I don't want to identify are subsets. I
want to make distinctions in the CJK range.

>So some suggestions:
>
>1. do not call them script codes.

I agree. Whatever either of us mean by scripts, we're going to confuse the
issue by using that term. What I want are "CJK distinguishing codes".

>2. you may look at the way UCS does this and make a similar way
>of doing what you want, and this may have a better chance to pass
>as there is already precedence for doing things that way.

Again, it's not clear to me that there's any precedence here to work with.

pr

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick@qualcomm.com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated