LastResort

From: Kai-hsu Tai (kaihsu@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 24 1997 - 14:54:03 EDT

> "ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka".

This is painfully true. I'd suggest that instead of using random examples
of each script and enclosing it into a rounded square, we

a) choose a _representative_ character from each script ("hi" for
   hiragana, "han" for hangul; in current font: "character" [zi,ji,ja]
   for Unihan, "ka" for katakana), and

b) design _icons_ for the more "functional" characters ("CJK
   compatibility"; in current font: "reserved", "private use", etc.).

> 1) a version of the font that used latin abbreviations to make it easier
> for me to identify and distinguish scripts I couldn't read, as well as
> making technical distinctions such as "CJK compatibility", and

What is the status of the LastResort font? Are those examples (a
non-exhaustive list) in the 2.0 book normative or just informative? Does
a system displaying Unicode have to use the "standard" LastResort font to
be Unicode compliant? If it is not normative, the user should be
empowered to choose among the icon-ish LastResort, the Latin LastResort,
the Cyrillic LR, &c.

--
Kai-hsu Tai
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~kaihsu/