Re: MES as an ISO standard?

From: Pierre Lewis (lew@nortel.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 02 1997 - 12:36:00 EDT

In message "Re: MES as an ISO standard?",
'Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se' writes:

> Maybe you don't care, but I do. Java is a wonderful language just because
> it is the only one of the great internationally used programming languages
> that allow me to use names on variables and routines in my own language!

Java is a wonderful language for me too, not because it supports
Unicode in variable names, but because it supports Unicode at run
time. The former is much lower on my list of priorities.

I'd much rather, for example, see Java provide us with a UTF-8
input/output mechanism (more general than the one I've found so far)
than spend precious resources developing a linker that can deal with
variable names written in R2L scripts and allowing for various
decompositions. Once the program runs (which, outside academia, is
the only point of writing programs), variable names are not relevant.

Pierre

P.S. Btw, I'm French, and have at times used French variable names, of
course always without accents.