Correction to my previous post re: Java and UTF-8

From: Adrian Havill (havill@threeweb.ad.jp)
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 21:47:22 EDT

Looks like I spoke to soon, and didn't check up on my facts.

The 1.1.3 version (of JDK just released by Sun) fixed the robustness
problem I was complaining about regarding converting UTF-8 to Java
(1.1.2 is broken), and it turns out the extra conversion step for
running native2ascii isn't needed with the javac compiler (since version
1.1)... IOW, with the command line option "-encoding," the javac
compiler will accept source in UTF-8... straight without conversion to
an intermediate form.

My apologies for the factual error.

--
Adrian Havill <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/>
Engineering Division, System Planning & Production Section