Re: Usage of CP1252 characters on www.msnbc.com

From: Vincent DelGobbo (sasvcd@unx.sas.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 09:51:09 EDT

Chris Pratley <chrispr@microsoft.com> wrote in part:

> Erik raised an option of writing the actual byte value of the characters
> in the file. It was my understanding that this can cause trouble in some
> Unix servers that are not expecting byte vales in the 0x80-0x9F range.
> Can someone comment here?
>
> Chris

I can't comment specifically about the range 0x80-0x9F, but my
limited experience has shown that browsers generally render the
"byte value characters" properly providing the appropriate
character set is provided in the META tag (I presume the same
is true for the HTTP header).

A problem that I have seen is that when transferring the HTML
files via FTP, most notably betweeen ASCII and EBCDIC systems,
the characters get incorrectly converted. Presumably the translate
table used by the FTP program needs to be modified to take this
into account, but that is another burden I do not want to put
on our users. I am leaning toward always using &# NCR's for
characters above decimal 127, and experiencing all the inherrent
problems being discussed here lately!

Vince
sasvcd@unx.sas.com