Re: Usage of CP1252 characters on www.msnbc.com

From: Lars Henrik Mathiesen (thorinn@diku.dk)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 15:06:09 EDT

   From: "Unicode Discussion" <unicode@unicode.org>
   Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 06:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

>What happened to the idea of using named character entities, as in
>http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-entities? Someone did mention them,
>but no notice seemed to be taken...

   I think someone pointed out a (largish) number of errors in the
   entity set.

I did see and follow a reference to a web page where about four
irreconcilable conflicts were pointed out. Most problems were in stuff
like the PostScript math encodings, though; IIRC, the problems in the
CP1252 range were minor. (I should check, but now I've lost the URL.)

Anyway, I suppose there's still time to fix the entity set, if the
experts here think it useful enough to care about it. (I'm not an
expert on entity names, so I will refrain from volunteering.)

               The idea of using named entities is a good one though.

Glad to hear you think so. Does DynaText/DynaBase emit them?

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <thorinn@diku.dk> (Humour NOT marked)