Re: EURO SIGN in Unicode

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 01:23:00 EDT

The final decision in Crete was 20AC. ISO 10646 does not allow character
replacement of existinng characters.
From: Unicode Discussion
To: Multiple Recipients of
Subject: Re: EURO SIGN in Unicode
Date: Tuesday, July 08, 1997 3:00PM

Kenneth Whistler wrote on 1997-07-08 19:10 UTC:
> The following character has already been accepted for the Unicode
> Standard by the Unicode Technical Committee:
> It was presumably discussed at the WG2 meeting last week in Crete for
> parallel addition to ISO/IEC 10646.

Thanks for the update!

Was there some discussion about how the existing strange character

originally got into Unicode? There was some suspicion on
raised that this position was originally intended as a place holder for
euro symbol, but at the time the Unicode standard was printed, it was
known yet what this symbol will eventually look like, so someone made up
this C/E symbol.

I am pretty sure that the symbol currently shown in U+20A0 is nowhere
I remember another rumour that the EURO-CURRENCY sign was invented as
a placeholder by the designer of some teletext character set, but I
checked briefly recently all commonly used teletext character sets
in a Philips data sheet and I didn't find anything like it

Anyway, a related question: How well are the design decisions for
Unicode documented. Is there any rational database where there is
some comment text stored for every character that explains why this
character was added and what other references justified the addition
of this character? If not, something like this would be very useful
to have.

Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Science grad student, Purdue
University, Indiana, USA -- email: