Re: UTF-8 in Netscape

From: Markus G. Kuhn (
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 22:01:27 EDT

"Unicode Discussion" wrote on 1997-07-11 23:09 UTC:
> > You're right. I believe that NSC has a bug in it; it seems to result
> > in UTF-7, even though I selected UTF-8.
> No, this is not really a bug. We simply don't allow you send out email
> in certain encoding. We always convert UTF8 back to UTF7 when we send
> out email.

Why? I would like to use UTF-8 in the 8-bit encoding on the e-mail
connection! The email systems are today sufficiently 8-bit transparent
since all the sendmail security upgrades, and even if not, my ESMTP
software would encode the 8-bit UTF-8 as on the fly as quoted printable
UTF-8 in the few very rare cases where the other side speaks only old
7-bit SMTP.

Cosmetic bug report: The correct notation is UTF-8 and not UTF8.
Communicator 4.0 menus lack the hyphen, and since many people will hear
about UTF-8 the first time by seeing it in Netscape menues, it would
be very useful if you could fix this typo. Thanks!

Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Science grad student, Purdue
University, Indiana, USA -- email: