EURO SIGN construction rules available!

From: Markus G. Kuhn (kuhn@cs.purdue.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 14 1997 - 23:51:15 EDT

There is new information on <http://europa.eu.int/euro/> available about
the EURO SIGN.

Especially interesting for font designers working on adding this symbol
(U+20AC) to Unicode fonts is that the official construction diagram for
the euro currency logo is now available on

  http://europa.eu.int/euro/images/download/constr.tif

This is the definition of the logo (which is supposed to be used in
yellow (Yellow 100, PMS Yellow) on a blue (Cyan 100 + Magenta 80,
PMS Reflex Blue) background. I guess that this definition of the large
logo does not necessarily mean that font designers, who also have to match
the euro sign with the style of the font, are bound to follow *exactly*
this diagram, but I guess it is certainly useful to have it available
as a design starting point, and this design probably looks Ok as it is
in many font styles.

If anyone has come up with a cute Gothic version of the EURO SIGN,
please let us see the result ... ;-)

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Science grad student, Purdue
University, Indiana, USA -- email: kuhn@cs.purdue.edu