Re: HTML 4.0 and Browsers

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Thu Jul 17 1997 - 05:32:36 EDT

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Markus G. Kuhn wrote:

> BTW: Is there some mechanism in W3C, where people can complain about
> brutal violations of the existing standards by Web browser vendors?
>
> I have reported the very obvious bug demonstrated on
>
> http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/kuhn/bug1.html
>
> already several times, and it still has not been fixed in the latest
> releases. Many be, just quoting SGML and assuming that the reader of
> the HTML spec is familiar with elementary principles of SGML is not
> sufficient and the HTML spec has to be written a little bit clearer
> than SGML people might feel necessary.

Well, this is not i18n. It's a pretty obvious inconsistency that
better got fixed, but not "brutal" in the sense that it affects
readability or anything. Also, SGML in no way guarantees that two
things that parse with the same structure have to look the same,
there are all kinds of application conventions that can come into
play.

The W3C is not, as far as I understand, a police institution for
browsers, so it doesn't have a place to complain about violations.
What it issues are recommendations, which can be followed or not.
The main place to complain for broken software is the browser maker.

You would address yourself to the W3C if you wanted to have something
in the spec clarified or changed (to explicitly exclude your bug,
or to explicitly allow it so that it stops to be a bug). Mentionning
things like the above on the public HTML list that Misha has
mentionned can help raising awareness, but forcing any vendor to
do something is difficult.

Regards, Martin.