Re: BITNET

From: Nelson Minar (nelson@media.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 08:07:35 EDT

Otto Stolz said (and I quote exactly, not printably)

>Only the following characters are equally coded in (virtually) all EBCDIC=

>variants, and are again equally coded in all ISO 646 variants:
>- 52 letters: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
> A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
>- 10 digits: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
>- 12 punktuation marks: space ' ( ) , - _ / : ; ?
>- 7 mathematical & miscllaneous signs: + < =3D > % & *

Would that MIME quoted printable let this through without mucking with
all the equals signs. EBCDIC is one up on us here.

How long is it going to be before this stuff works right? MIME quoted
printable is a pretty ugly solution, since it *almost* renders
readably even if you don't decode it. Will our Unicode codings be
equally misleading? From what I've heard of UTF-8, I wonder.

Nelson, who's really tired of reading =20 in his mail.