Re: Bug in NetPresenz: can't fetch ftp://ftp.unicode.org with Netscap

From: jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 1997 - 17:07:03 EDT

>I had no trouble accessing ftp://ftp.unicode.org with a standalone ftp
>program
>or with Internet Explorer Mac 3.01, but Netscape Navigator and
>Communicator
>both fail with the error message
> "Unable to find the file or directory named: / Check the name and
>try again."
>I've seen this error many times when accessing unusual FTP servers with
>web browsers.

If you try to access "ftp://ftp.unicode.org" it fails. If you try to
access "ftp://ftp.unicode.org/" you're OK.

>In any case, Unicode should register their copy of NetPresenz (hey, it's
>only $10) :-)

That is being done.

>I don't know what Netscape is sending, but perhaps it's "DIR /". When
>I try
>that interactively to ftp.unicode.org, I sometimes get two lines of
>response,
> ftp> dir /
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 ASCII transfer started.
>then nothing. It sits there for a long time without producing any
>output.
>Other times, it returns with the results right away.
>Very odd. I wonder what's up. I did notice that Internet Explorer
>says it's setting
>passive mode on the transfer; no idea what Netscape does. Setting
>passive mode
>in my standalone FTP client had no effect.

When did you see the hanging output? We were using AppleShare IP for ftp
(and just switched to NetPresenz today), and we were seeing that a lot.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
tseng@blueneptune.com