RE: Bug in NetPresenz: can't fetch ftp://ftp.unicode.org with Net scape

From: Kegel, Dan (dkegel@activision.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 1997 - 12:39:41 EDT

Jeremy, thanks for the info!

I see the section of http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1738.txt you're
referring
to, on page 7. I tried an experiment: with both
Netscape 3.x and Netscape 4.01 I fetched three different URL's:
   ftp://ftp.unicode.org
   ftp://ftp.unicode.org/
   ftp://ftp.unicode.org//
I'll be danged if all three URL's didn't all return different results!
There was no difference between Netscape 3 and 4.
The first one errors out with "Netscape can't retrieve file or directory
/";
the second one prints out a naked directory listing (no welcome
message);
the third one prints out a decorated directory listing (with welcome
message)!

On Internet Explorer, it always adds the / to the URL, so #1 is the
same as #2;
and #2 and #3 both return a decorated directory listing (with welcome
message).

I agree with Jeremy: Netscape probably needs to clean up their act.
Don't know if the workaround he suggests for ftp.unicode.org will work,
but
they should try it, considering as how Netscape is unlikely to fix this
bug.

This concludes this emergency test of the Extremely Pedantic Kibitzer
system.
Thank you.
- Dan