Re: Unicode use for end-users

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 10:21:15 EDT

At 3:06 AM -0700 7/31/97, wrote:

>for systems and software which support Unicode (MS-Word 97 for
>example), I am mystified about how I can produce Unicode characters (if at
>all) via the keyboard. Using ASCII codes, for example, I can produce the
>"|" by typing:
>How can I type in a Unicode code to get the same effect? I have tried
>whole strings of codes and various methods, but to no effect. Any help
>would be greatly appreciated!
>Thanks in advance,
>Graham Rhind

As far as I know, you have to run Word 97 under Windows NT, or else install
Gamma UniType along with it, to have access to a generic Unicode input
method (NT or UniType) or specific input methods for a variety of scripts
(UniType, or NT plus language kits). Win95 only supports entry in extended
Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic.

Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President      as simple as possible,
NewbieNet, Inc.  3662 members and counting      __but no simpler__.    16 Jul 97   Attributed to Albert Einstein