Re: Unicode end-users

From: Richard S. Cook (rscook@world.std.com)
Date: Sun Aug 03 1997 - 11:10:05 EDT

>On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Christopher Hogan <chogan@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> What we really need is an input method toolkit, or wizard, that would
>> enable a non-sophisticated user to develop input methods for their
>> favorite languages. Not to play OS-favorites, but Mule emacs does
>> have a framework for entering new input methods (called quail), and
>> while it does not look to be a trivial task, it certainly seems like
>> something I would investigate if I were sufficiently interested in a
>> certain unsupported language.

>On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Martin J. Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch> wrote:
>
>There is a nice keyboard resource editor, surely easier to use than
quail,
>on the Mac. Just drag-and-drop your letters onto the keys you want them.
>I'm sure something similar exists somewhere for Windows.
>
>Quail is a little bit more powerful in terms of letter combinations
>(for examlpe to input Korean Hangul), but it doesn't go as far as
>covering Japanese or Chinese ideographic input. At some point, you
>need to be able to specify keyboard behaviour programmatically, and
>that's not something for the end user.

The Mac's keyboard editor is great, but I really like the idea of "an
input method toolkit" for the mac that would work with, say, CID
http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/devrelations/technotes.html Chinese
fonts!

A bit off topic here, though relating to a previous query:

The folks at Pyrus http://www.pyrus.com/ have told me that their program
Fontlab Composer will be out for the mac in coming months.

BTW, my filter program has been quite busy deleting unicode mail subject
"DISTRIBUTION LIST". Seems like the list went completely haywire for a
spell ...

Richard S. Cook, Jr.
Somerville, MA USA 02144
email: rscook@world.std.com