FW: MS Language Packs

From: Lori Brownell (loribr@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 13:32:03 EDT

When you say automatically, I would have to say no, because it does
depend on how the app is written. If the app is Unicode and is not
doing anything "bad" (meaning putting out characters one at a time,
assuming particular glyph metrics, etc.) and/or is using standard edit
controls (including Rich Edit 2) and system functions then yes the app
should gain multilingual capabilities somewhat automatically. Notepad
is a good example. We have not made any code changes to Notepad itself
and it now supports display of any supported script in any combination,
including Greek, Cyrillic, Kanji, Arabic, Thai, etc. We are working on
guidelines and sample code for s/w developers to outline the description
of "good" app behavior.

A user will gain language support, only after installing it from the
Regional Settings applet in the Control Panel. Everything needed for
these languages will be shipped on the NT CD and is installable during
setup or after via Regional Settings. All Win32 functions and controls
provided in the OS will have multilingual support. There are not
separate controls for the complex languages. The goal is to ease
development by providing full multilingual capabilities by using
standard Win32 APIs, such that the same binary will run anywhere in the
world. There is obviously a slight performance impact if you install
all of the language support, but it is not noticeable to me on my
Pentium 133 machine w/32 MB RAM. For a hint of what is to come in NT5,
you could check out the Arabic, Hebrew or Thai enabled versions of NT4.

Thanks - Lori