Re: Unicode end-users

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 16:16:08 EDT

"Markus G. Kuhn" writes:

> > What does "Posix compliant" *require* of an OS with regard to ISO 10646?
>
> Today nothing as far as I understand, because the current POSIX standard
> predates ISO 10646 and UTF-8. There seems however to be a broad consensus
> (also laid down in various ISO working papers) among POSIX working group
> members that if ISO 10646 is used under a POSIX system, then
> UTF-8 is the way to go. Future development of the POSIX standards
> will reflect this.

We have in the ISO POSIX WG been thru all POSIX standards to see
what changes we should do to the standards to accompdate UCS.
We found that POSIX standards in general were ready to handle UCS
in the UTF-8 encoding without problems, as the APIs for example
were encoding independent. The null bytes in UCS-2 and UCS-4 was
considered to make problems for many current implementations of
POSIX, due to the null byte being used to terminate strings in
C and C++ programs.

We are working on a new interchange format, where the file names
are to be encoded in UTF-8.

keld