Re: Unicode end-users

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 14:17:06 EDT

Glen Perkins writes:

> Is it likely, then, that POSIX compliance is going to *require* the
> ability to handle UTF-8 transparently? Is it going to further require
> UTF-8 as the default system encoding, or can three different
> POSIX-compliant machines have three different default system encodings?

I believe that any POSIX compliant system would be able to handle
UTF-8 transparantly, at least as seen from the kernel APIs.
That is I am not so sure utilities will be able to handle UTF-8.

I do not think POSIX will require UTF-8 as the default system encoding.
I have not heard of such requirements being proposed.

keld