Re: Yet Another I-Dotting Proposal

From: KNAPPEN@MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 16:35:54 EDT

Asmus Freytag schrieb:

> Rendering Turkish correctly in Caps and small caps can be achieved without
> the introduction of additional characters; as the reference to font styles
> makes clear, this is not a plain text problem, so the full arsenal of rich
> text is available to solve it.

No, in the general case it cannot. Imagine the following situation:

You have a bibliographical database with fields tagged as last_name,
first_name, titel, publisher, year etc. Maybe the language in which the
work is published is tagged, too. But usually, the native language of the
authors isn't.

Now you have a style sheet, demanding that the last names of authors are to
be set in caps and small caps. No rich text format can help you guess the
correct form of LOWERCASE I vs. LOWERCASE I WITH DOT.

Therefore, the additional i's are desperately needed. The sooner they are
included into Unicode, the better. Or should I open up my private use area
for them?

--J"org Knappen