Re: XML and ISO 10646 planes beyond the BMP

From: Doug Schiffer (dschiffer@XYZ.servtech.com)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 23:05:01 EDT

Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:

> Misha Wolf writes:
>
> > - While the ISO 10646 coding space is theoretically 31 (not 32) bits
> > wide, it is my understanding that ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 has decided
> > not to encode characters beyond the 17 planes covered by Unicode.
>
> As far as I know, this is not true. There has even been some proposals
> in SC2/WG2 to encode data outside the 17 planes reachable by UTF-16.

What I always wonder is what on earth is going to need more than a
million+ characters????

The most I have ever heard for obscure Chinese characters is 100,000.
The ancient
Egyptian, Sumerian, etc, etc - I doubt sincerely that 100,000 of them
could be found. Throw in another 100,000 for ancient Mayan, etc.

We're only up to 400,000. Even this has to be wildly on the high side.

What's the rest for?