Re: UTF-8, ISO C Am.1, and POSIX

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 07:34:03 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> > I think you underestimate both the number of EBCDIC systems extant,
> > and the number of cars driving on the left. Neither is by any
> > stretch of the imagination a niche, and neither is going to go away
> > in the forseeable future.
> >
> > Tony H.
>
> Fortunately, mainframe gateway protocols confine the former to the
> mainframes, and Chunnel gateway protocols confine the latter
> to Britain.
>
> --Ken

Although I don't see the relevance of Ken's bringing up road traffic
protocols in the context of computing standards, I have to to correct
him on a point on which he is misinformed.

The latter, Ken, is not confined to Britain. People also drive on the
left in my country (Ireland). Are you not aware that lefthand drive
countries have considerably lower roadkill statistics than the USA?
Marion Gunn