Re: Unicode font for Mac?

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Tue Aug 26 1997 - 02:12:38 EDT

This is a question for the Apple Developer Evangelist. Unfortunately, there
isn't one at the moment--I've applied for the job--so I am forwarding the
question to the Apple EvangeList mailing list. I also intend to write an
article about this mess in Multilingual Computers and Communications

At 1:51 PM -0700 8/20/97, Vincent DelGobbo wrote:
>> On 8/20/97 5:22 AM, Vincent DelGobbo ( wrote:
>> >I could not get Cyberdog to work at all. In fact, the only
>> >encodings available from the pulldown were Western (MacOS) and
>> >Western (ISO 8859-1).
>> >
>> Cyberdog provides Unicode support by taking advantage of installed
>> Macintosh scripts and converting to them. MRJ and Netscape do the same.
>> Do you have any of the Language Kits installed?
>> John H. Jenkins
>As far as I know, no language scripts are installed on the
>machine I tested on. I looked at the page:
>Language kits for the following 7 languages are available
>at an approximate cost of $900 total (+tax +shipping):
> Arabic & Persian
> Chinese
> Cyrillic
> Hebrew
> Indian
> Japanese
> Korean
>I am interested in supporting at least ISO-8859-1 through 9,
>and it looks like some needed language packs may not be
>available. What do I do about Greek? Do I really have to
>pay $900+ because I want to test my HTML for other languages?
>Why isn't the converted Cyberbit enough (at least for NS 4.01)?
>I did not see any mention of Unicode anywhere on the page.

Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President      as simple as possible,
NewbieNet, Inc.  3662 members and counting      __but no simpler__.    16 Jul 97   Attributed to Albert Einstein