Ambiguity in the English name UTF - Universal transformation format

From: Alain LaBont\i SCT (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 02 1997 - 11:02:23 EDT

A 14:41 97-09-01 -0700, Misha Wolf a écrit :
>Ed Hart responded privately but I trust he won't object to my forwarding his
>response:
>
>> From amendment 2: UCS Transformation format 8 (UTF-8)
>>
>> I'll see you on Wednesday afternoon.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ed
>>
>> ----------

[Alain] :
Yes...

There was an issue with translating the name "Universal Transformation
Format" into French. This is so ambiguous a name that we had to change it
in French. The British editor of the English version of the Universal
Character Set standard agreed that this was indeed a very bad phrasing in
English too (in French it is worse, to render the ambiguity, we would need
to twist our brains for a month).

In French we decided rather to call it the equivalent of "universal
transformed format". English won't be changed as it is too known now.

Alain LaBonté
Québec