Re: Ambiguity in the English name UTF - Universal transformation

From: Misha Wolf (misha.wolf@reuters.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 10:34:15 EDT

Alain LaBonti wrote:

> There was an issue with translating the name "Universal Transformation
> Format" into French. This is so ambiguous a name that we had to change it
> in French. The British editor of the English version of the Universal
> Character Set standard agreed that this was indeed a very bad phrasing in
> English too (in French it is worse, to render the ambiguity, we would need
> to twist our brains for a month).
>
> In French we decided rather to call it the equivalent of "universal
> transformed format". English won't be changed as it is too known now.

I believe that the "U" in "UTF" does *not* stand for "Universal", but
rather for "UCS".

Misha Wolf Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com 85 Fleet Street
Standards Manager Voice: +44 171 542 6722 London EC4P 4AJ
Reuters Limited Fax : +44 171 542 8314 UK
Eleventh International Unicode Conference, 2-5 Sep 1997, www.unicode.org

Reuters Ltd.