Re: Pls ignore one part of last post

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 14:32:21 EDT

Adrian Havill wrote:

> Finally actually bothered to read RFC 2068. I see now that
>
> Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, *, utf-8
>
> means the following: they all have a weight of one, meaning being of
> equal importance, with the "*" being given the least preference as there
> are more specific mediums available. (If I understand RFC 2068
> correctly).
>
> This means that Navigator 4.0 prefers UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 to any old
> character set, correct?

NO!!!Again, we do not specify any PREFERENCE in the Accept-Charse header.
Your statement above is INCORRECT. All the header says is it could accept
any charset including iso-8859-1 AND utf-8.

> I'm curious to know why UCS-2 wasn't included in its support, as the
> most commonly available (primitive, but still the most common) Unicode
> editor in the world today is the Windows NT's NOTEPAD.EXE.

We do not send out ALL charset we could handle since it will be a HUGE list
one day.We don't think any non-technical users have a PREFERENCE CHARSET (or
even understand what is a charset) so it is not worthy to build a GUI to let
them select a limit set of them.