Re: Communicator Unicode

From: Markus Kuhn (
Date: Sun Sep 14 1997 - 06:34:01 EDT

Kent Karlsson wrote:
> Even those that can send 8bit (which should not be difficult...;-)
> unfortunately have QP as default (and many users don't change the
> default).

And the mailing list server is pretty anal about
preventing 8-bit clean transfer, too. Every posting it receives in
8-bit encoding is converted on-the-fly to quoted-printable, even if
the outgoing transmission link is ESMTP and can handle 8-bit messages.

I somehow feel that with MIME's quoted-printable encoding introduced
and the old 7-bit software gone, we have now reached a state, where
the solution has become the problem.

Dipl.-Inf. Markus Kuhn, Schlehenweg 9, D-91080 Uttenreuth, Germany
mkuhn at,