Re: War over 'shuruq' narrowly averted

From: Tex Texin (texin@bedford.progress.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 03:44:15 EDT

And the insomniacs just shuruqed their shoulders...
tex
On Sep 18, 2:36pm, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> Subject: War over 'shuruq' narrowly averted
>
> Dateline: Geneva, Thursday, September 18, 1997
>
> The ISOnominalists and the SInominalists met today at
> the bargaining table in their long-running dispute over
> whether the correct name of U+05BC should be:
>
> HEBREW POINT DAGESH OR MAPIQ (shuruq)
>
> or
>
> HEBREW POINT DAGESH OR MAPIQ OR SHURUQ
>
> After considerable posturing and threats by both sides,
> opposing camps reluctantly agreed that a compromise
> solution was preferable to open flamewar. Unnamed sources
> state that the new name to be revealed in a press
> conference this evening is:
>
> HEBREW POINT DAGESH OR MAPIQ (or shuruq)
>
> Both sides have also now agreed to focus their attention
> jointly at countering the antinomianist camp, which claims
> that no names can be imposed by human moral strictures,
> and that faith alone will reveal the true name of
> shuruq.
>
>-- End of excerpt from Kenneth Whistler

Tex Texin
International Development Mgr.   Fax:   +1-781-280-4949
Progress Software Corp.        Voice:   +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                     http://www.progress.com
Bedford, MA 01730  USA       texin@bedford.progress.com
Please note our area code has changed from 617 to 781.