Re: Seeking Hebrew character 'shuruq'

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 06:28:05 EDT

Glenn Adams writes:

> At 11:22 AM 9/18/97 -0700, Willy Weisz wrote:
>
> >Since Israel is the only country whose official language is Hebrew, I
> >think
> >it is their standards institute who should define the designation and
> >naming
> >of Hebrew characters, and the names they give should be taken over by
> >international
> >bodies. Nobody would expect that the English designations of latin
> >characters
> >should be defined in say China or an Arab country.
>
> It has been a firm policy of JTC1/SC2/WG2 that countries and/or national
> standards bodies do not "own" a script simply because that country is the
> predominant user of the script. WG2 is an international committee represented
> by many countries and user communities. Each voting P-member in ISO is given
> equal weight in these matters. In the case of Hebrew script, many countries
> have user communities that make use of the script. Your inference that some one
> country other than Israel has defined the Hebrew script or the names of its
> elements is not correct.

That means that it was SI that gave the names to the Hebrew characters?

As I see it WG2 is looking very closely to the opinions of the
standards body(ies) that are the main users of scripts/characters.
Viz the hangul case, the danish/norwegian AE case, the extended han
case. The national bodies in question all got their will in
some controversial issues.

Keld