Name used to invoke the template table of ISO/IEC 14651 (International String Ordering Standard)

From: Alain LaBont\i SCT (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 15:47:33 EDT

Ann,

I know that the new ISO COBOL standard will make explicit reference to the
sort order specified in ISO/IEC 14651, according to what you told me
personally and according to the draft COBOL standard document.

As per a Japanese comment which ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG20 accepted at the CD
ballot that ended in May and that we processed in Québec shortly after,
invocation of the ordering table will mention the version of the standard
(as the table will be incremented over years, with data gathered from
different language sources, and also following the development of the
Universal multiple-octet-coded character set [ISO/IEC 14651], converging
with the UNICODE standard).

In the final CD, I just wrote the following at the beginning of the table:

Name used for invoking this table of this version of this International
standard : ISO14651_1998_TABLE1

and in the French version:

Nom utilisé pour invoquer la table 1 de cette version de la présente
Norme internationale : ISO14651_1998_TABLE1

I thought it was important that I mention this to you, in your quality of
convenor of the COBOL working group of SC22, as early as possible. It
couldn't be that early, it is very fresh data, my Word files (French and
English versions) are still open while I send you this...

Best Regards.

Alain LaBonté
Québec

Project Editor, ISO/IEC 14651