Re: ISO 9995 terminology

From: Geoffrey P Waigh (gpw@sagitta.cybersurf.net)
Date: Sat Sep 27 1997 - 15:05:34 EDT

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Alain LaBonti - SCT wrote:

> In the series of ISO/IEC 9995, if you have a limited budget, the most
> important parts for a programmer, imho, are part 3 (international keyboard
> layout) and part 7 (symbols and description of functions with their names,
> in English and French).

I may have seen 9995 at one point, but it is not in my library at home and
my current job is away from the internationalization realm (I don't
suppose anyone knows about using Unicode with SAP?) Is there any support
for non-PC style keyboards? PC keyboards are very unsuitable for
hand-held terminals and other applications where form-factor issues place
strong constraints on keyboard layouts. Also the strong emphasis on
chording keys in one standard (I'm assuming 9995) was problematic since we
designed the hardware to support only a single key being depressed at one
time.

While I'm in favour of not having to find the half-dozen wandering keys
everytime I sit down in front of a computer, this is one standard I would
not want to see in a company's "all products must conform to" list.

Geoffrey