Re: Euro symbol key assignment (ISO 9995)

From: Alain LaBont\i SCT (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 14:12:32 EDT

A 05:41 97-09-29 -0700, KNAPPEN@MZDMZA.ZDV.UNI-MAINZ.DE a écrit :
>On the german keyboard manufactured by Digital, there are more Level-3
>assignments. Specially, the postions
>
>E04 VULGAR FRACTION ONE QUARTER
>E05 VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF
>E06 VULGAR FRACTION THREE QUARTERS
>
>are already taken.
>
>E04 also has a fourth level assignment (cuurency sign).
>
>I heartily agree with Markus Kuhn, that the assignment to the `E' key
>is a very good idea.

[Alain] :
There is an attempt, on different French-language-enabled national
keyboards in Europe and in Canada, to have level 3 of the 5 keys for vowels
aeiou, being assigned the circumflex-accented vowels assigned with the
level 3 (lower case in normal mode, capital in CapsLock mode).

This is just an information of course.

ISO/IEC 9995-3 is more aiming the international Latin keyboard group
layout, but with all these informations, perhaps we're able to harmonize
the way the EURO SIGN will be entered on national versions of keyboards.

Thanks to all those who provided early information before the meeting that
will decide to send an FPDAM document for ballot.

Alain LaBonté
Québec