Charset vs. codeset

From: Yves Savourel (YvesS@ile.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 19:20:06 EDT

Here is a probably novice-type question for most of you, but so far (and
I've been dealing with codeset/charset since years) I couldn't find a
straight answer anywhere.

What is the difference between a code set and a character set?

For example, to me (so far)
- Unicode is a character set (a "bag" of characters without code-point
assigned)
- UCS-2, UTF-8, etc. are code sets ([en]coded character sets, basically
the implementation of the character set according a specific encoding
scheme).
- The general usage has a tendency to blend both.

I know it's an un-important detail, but I'd like to use the right terms
when possible.

Thanks for answers or pointers to references.

--Yves