Re: Charsets + encoding + codesets

From: John Cowan (
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 10:37:34 EDT

Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
> John Cowan writes:
> > There is, as far as I can tell, no single term used in the Unicode
> > Standard for what you are calling an "abstract character" above.
> > I would like there to be one, myself.
> 10646 has the term "composite sequence".

No, that won't work. We need a term for the underlying abstraction
that can be represented either by a single (concrete) character
or by a composite sequence. Ken Whistler has used the
term "grapheme" (starting today). This term, AFAIK, is
always collocated with "phoneme" and is used in discussions of
text-to-speech conversion, speech-to-text conversion, and
learning to read (which is a kind of text-to-speech conversion).
Still, terminological buccaneering may be useful.

John Cowan
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:37 EDT