Re: Why Ligatures?

From: Patrick Perroud (
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 01:10:02 EDT

Bernard Chester
>I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind having ligatures in a
>codepage. For example, Latin 00 proposal wants to add OE and oe
>ligatures to Latin-1.

OE/oe is not exactly a ligature but a kind of extra voyel used in French in
a word like "oeuf" (means "egg"). What is uselly called a ligature is
couple of character like "fl" or "fi". In such a case, when you reduce the
tracking between both characters, they join on the top looking like a
single character. Font manufacterer are providing a single character for
such pairs since decades and this is called a ligature.

>Aren't these cases that the display logic should handle, but the data
>actually is 2 letters? Is there a semantic difference if the display
>showed 2 characters? When I search for oe ligature code value,
>shouldn't I match with the octet pair o & e?

It should works but what happen when a text processor is handling both
single and double bytes characters? How do you know this one is ligature
and the other one is not?

Best regards

Patrick Perroud

Patrick Perroud SARL
208, rue de la Convention - MBE 253 - 75015 Paris - France
Tel. +33-1-45426623 - Fax +33-1-44196029
Web site: